X-books discussion

Discuss the Mights of Marvel.
PantherCult

X-books discussion

Postby PantherCult » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:29 pm

So, you can't really have a Marvel discussion forum without a thread to talk about the X-Men right?

Just got finished with the most recent X-offerings:

X-Men 200
Uncanny X-Men 488
X-Factor 20
World War Hulk: X-Men 1

X-Men 200 is the reintroduction of the Marauders to the X-Men's lives. So, apparently it turns out that Mystique, Lady Master Mind and Sabretooth joining the X-Men was a set up all along to get close and infiltrate. Gambit and Sunfire are working with Sinister to take out Cable. Malice co-opts the Kanima sentinel, while Lady Mastermind masks the presence of the Marauders and then Mystique shows her hand as well. There was a ton happening - which is as it should be for an anniversary issue like this. Carey's writing is solid if unspectacular, but I enjoyed the developments in the book and it felt like they had been properly set up. But the art... dear god the art. I can't stand Chris Bachalo's style on this type of book. On certain projects he's perfect - his work for Vertigo was very nice. But I wish he'd keep his pencil away from my mainstream Marvel heroes... And Ramos' art is evern worse. I absolutely HATE how this book looks and it's made even worse when it's hidden behind the David Finch drawn variant cover - a very jarring contrast of styles. The back-up story is proving interesting - if a little slow moving for now.

Uncanny X-Men is continuing Brubaker's second arc on this title... the return of the Morlocks and the hunt for Magneto. Once again I think Brubaker's story telling is a little too decompressed. His last 12 issue arc on Uncanny was very slow to start and then was forced to cram too much action into the last 2 issues. I'm hoping this won't be more of the same. Still, it's nice to have Storm back in the pages of the X-Men and I trust Brubaker enough to at least believe there will be a solid payoff coming up.

X-Factor 20 - an excellent issue. Continuing to deal with the fallout of "M-day" and Quicksilver's decline into madness. Layla Miller continues to come through for the team and she's finally able to put Pietro in his place. A very solid, entertaining read.

World War Hulk: X-Men: This should be fun. The Hulk squaring off against the X-Men... watching the "New" X-Men try their best and bounce off the Hulk like gnats. On the one hand I'm not entirely a fan of creating all new mini-series to deal with the ongoing crossover (they did the same thing with House of M) but on the other hand, I think I'd prefer this mini-series treatment than to have the X-titles hijacked for the WWH crossover - derailing their ongoing stories; and better than devoting too much space in the Hulk title to this tangent.

So, debate on the current stories, add your opinions about any X-book on the shelves. Here's the place to do it.
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:31 pm

I read Astonishing... #22 got pushed back from coming out a couple days ago, on the 5th, to coming out AUGUST TWENTY ######' SECOND!!!! I'll perhaps return to this thread then. :(

Uncanny was tooo decompressed for my wallet to continue after the first 12 issues. I have less interest in X-books, so the art on X-men proper has killed my chances of picking it up since... well ever really (unless this is the numbering that included Morrison's X-men). I read a large part of Austen's run when I used to go to Books-A-million at least once a month, but I've been hitting the TpB more often when there and have only skimmed Kelly's run. Any of the other X-books are a non-issue no matter how well written.

As for 'WWH:this' and 'WWH: that' and Frontline I feel insulted as a fan of the material. I appreciate the fleshing out of story elements, but I don't make the kinda money PC does. If I were a hardcore Marvel fan It'd be even more insulted. Bad enough I don't really have the green to pick up GLC, Blue Beetle, Countdown 4 times a month, and Catwoman to better understand more of whats going on with Green Lantern's plots.
PantherCult

Re: X-books discussion

Postby PantherCult » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Well, there's been no discussion in this thread in half a year... but after reading the penultimate chapter of Messiah Complex I just wanted to post some thoughts.

Messiah Complex has been a truly engaging X-Men Crossover that harkens back to the glory days of the X-Men for me. The 4 books all have relevant story-created involvement and none of the books seem "forced" into the story.

I continue to be frustrated by the jarring transition to the Humberto Ramos' art on the New X-Men book as I can barely tell which characters are which. Still, the developments in the most recent issue are startling and the ramifications seem serious. It's believable that the X-Men can't be the same after this storyline. How can Bishop ever truly be trusted as a member... How can the X-Men continue to embrace their traditional role of "rehabilitating" former villains seeing that so many of the recent additions were betraying the team. Will any of the "New" X-Men graduate to one of the senior teams after seeing so much action?

Rarely do comic "events" have lasting repercussions for those involved - although both Marvel and DC do seem to be making a more concerted effort to have these events change the status quo. Still, this story line feels like it will bring significant change to the X-Men and their associated titles. It's been a while since all the x-titles felt simultaneously relevant. I'm excited to see where things go from here...
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:51 pm

I have read up through issue #11 (missing 1,2, &9) and have loved it, but i must say I agree that the art transition is jarring indeed.
CREATION MATRIX><XIRTAM NOITAERC
_________COAX INIR MATTER_________
clixhunter

Postby clixhunter » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:14 am

and more importantly, how will all the books be affected when secret invasion reaches their pages....and whose a skrull? :wink:

I have picked up all the messiah complex, after not getting ANY X-Books for more than 2 years. I have been very pleased. You are right PC, This does hearken back to the glory days.

All of the books will have to change as many members are among the KO'd ;) Im intersted and will continue to get several of the books after MC gets done.
Got any Dragons you need slain?
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Well, Messiah Complex is now over... and it's extremely interesting...

I'll get to spoliers in a minute.... but the last page of the book shows us the face of the new X-Men Universe for what will be the 'core' mutant titles going forward:

Uncanny X-Men (of course)

X-Men: Legacy - this retains the numbering of the adjectiveless X-Men book

X-Force - Wolverine leads a team of feral fighters (warpath, X-23, Hepzibah, etc)

X-Factor

Cable - This will replace the 'fun' Cable/Deadpool book and document Cable's travels with the "new" mutant messiah (guess it takes one to know one)

Young X-Men - this replaces "New" X-Men as the team transitions from students at school to hands on combat training type stuff.

Apparently Ellis' Astonishing X-Men will take place without too many ties to monthly continuity, as will Wolverine, Wolverine: Origins and Exiles.

Now on to some story discussion

***SPOILERS ****
**** SPOILERS... REALLY ********

So, the big topic of discussion at the shop yesterday was regarding the identity of the baby.

Red Hair, Green Eyes and Female.... Opinion was split 50/50 as to whether this is Jean Grey reborn (it's what a Phoenix does, after all) or if it was this world's version of Rachel Summers. The coincidences are too big to be accident... but I'm sure we'll be teased with the potential identity of this infant for quite some time in the pages of Cable. My guess - the green eyes give it away. The baby is a SKRULL. :P

Charles Xavier - dead again. It may be getting cliche.... but Chuck takes a bullet to the brain. Now, are we going to have a situation like the end of the third X-Men movie - where Charles moved his consciousness to another body? It's been done before by both Jean and Emma. Or will it be something else. The blurb for X-Men: Legacy says something about Chucks consciousness being shattered by a bullet - so it doesn't sound like X is actually dead.

Bishop - clearly now a bad guy. His whole ulterior motive of assassinating the baby was pushing him that way... but being the guy that put the bullet in Xavier's brain should definitely cement it. I liked the way Bishop's character had been developed in X-Treme X-Men and then in District X.... so I'm a little disheartened by the villain turn. But, if they do it right he'll be an excellent X-Men adversary going forward.

Rogue - So, Mystiques behavior for the last 2+ years of Xbooks has all been about this moment and curing Rogue. And of course... Gambit was along for the ride. So, perhaps neither of them "bad guys" but just doing whatever it took to save the girl they loved. Still, Rogue isn't happy about it. And now it looks like she'll be spending her days fighting with Mystique inside her own skull as she absorbed Mystiques psyche into her own.... This should mean that she is now a shape shifter as well as a power absorber. Even more interesting though is whether she'll have retained the powers she stole from Ms. Marvel that have allowed her to fly, be invulnerable and super strong. If she was truly cured before she absorbed Mystique, that would mean Carol's presence was purged as well.... I'm sure people will forget that angle though, but I'm hoping a good writer will pick up the thread and take Rogue in a totally new direction.

Lots to look forward to for me in the aftermath of this story line. I have to say that Brubaker is the best thing to happen to the main X-Men titles in a long time. (Whedon on Astonishing is obviously up there overall for the X-Men).
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 pm

Spoilers

The Baby is Rachel Summers and this is why I think so.
1 ) baby was born in Alaska ..... Scott and Jean used to have a Cabin in Alaska and this was in recent years. Maybe a safe place for Jean to have a kid.

2 ) The baby looks like Racheal.

3 ) If I rememeber correctly when Rachel first shows up she is a little crazy. Some how she has a lot split personalities. Now with the baby asorbing all the extra personalities from Rogue that makes sense.

4 ) I think Racheal Summers becomes Mother Askani. If this is true then the fact that the 2nd future that is most likely Cables makes a lot of sense why he is protecting the baby.

5 ) The very last panel of X-men 207 shows a lighthouse in the background. I think this is a hint back to excaliber and their first HQ.

That is just my thoughts on the baby thing.
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:47 pm

So, Emperor Vulcan didn't end at all how I expected it to... and I rather liked that.

SPOILERS

Vulcan didn't lose, and didn't learn any valuable lesson. He's just as crazy and even more powerful than ever. And, he's got the Shi'ar people squarely behind him as the Emperor now who all heartily agree with his "Kill Charles Xavier" agenda. Havok and his team end up as prisoners. The Imperial Guard have cast their lot with the new emperor... The Shi'ar will definitely be an adversary for the Marvel Universe to contend with from this point forward. I'm curious to see where this story thread pops up next.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:21 am

I wonder if this will link up with the whole invasion thing? I doubt there is a skrull on on the star jammers or Imperial guard but, will the skrull and Sh'iar fight over earth? And Charles Xavier?
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:25 pm

So, after this week's reads - really enjoying Brubaker's X-Men. Has a very similar feel to the best Claremont runs on the title with mutiple plot threads and separated teams - but without the over used Claremont cliches. The current story arc isn't earth shattering or anything, but I'm finding it super enjoyable. Almost a relief after so much "universe shaking crossover action".

X-Force is moving a little slow - but wow... talk about reviving tons of old plotlines... resurrecting all of the "kill the mutants" villains that have been around from the beginning - Bolivar Trask, Steven Lang, Donald Pierce, Graydon Creed, William Stryker, Leper Queen, Bastion and the Technarchy. At least it can't be said that Kyle and Yost don't pay attention to continuity and past storylines as these villains stretch across every X-Title accross the years.

Now if only that final installment of Astonishing X-Men from Whedon would get here I'd be a happy camper.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 pm

I think it was resolicited to the 21st of May... hopefully no later. We know they are confident it will ship by July though... since thats when #25 comes. :roll:

Return to “Marvel Discussion”