Iron Fist Love Fest

Discuss the Mights of Marvel.
PantherCult

Re: Iron Fist Love Fest

Postby PantherCult » Mon May 05, 2008 12:14 pm

I have to agree - the book was so good and the build up so intense that I couldn't believe how anti-climactic the final issue was. Letdown is the perfect word for the most recent issue.

The flashback scenes with Wendell Rand and Orson Randall were mostly irrelevant and repetitive. They could have revealed the same information in like 2 panels. The "turn" of Davos - a character that has been THE enemy for Iron Fist for 30 years - happened much too quickly. The book was too crowded and it felt like it ran into a pacing issue where they had taken their time with the earlier issues and all of a sudden had to conclude everything in 20 pages and just didn't have enough space. Brubaker actually ran into the same problem on his first 12 issue X-Men arc as well. Anyway, I have to say that as much as I have adored this title to this point the latest issue was a serious disappointment. it's still probably better than most comics being published but was to far below the bar that had been set on this book.

So - Danny Rand is now going to lead his merry band of Imortal Weapons on the search for the 8th city? I suppose it could be fun to see issues focusing on how guys like Fat Cobra and Bride of 9 Spiders can blend into a modern world they've never even seen. B
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Mon May 05, 2008 12:21 pm

egospark wrote:Iron Fist certainly has its strong points... but Prince of Orphans is yet another European/American? Holy Cultural Shock, round eye! I suppose I'll end up getting the Iron Fist special that Reveals All but if it turns out that the this is yet another relative/suspeciously simular storyline to Daniel's/total sleepwalking through the keyboard "origin" story, I will be somewhat miffed to say the least.

So Ego, was wondering if you had checked out the Wikipedia Entry on John Aman...

Apparently he was actually created in the 1930's by Centaur Comics and went by the name Amazing Man. Malibu Comics resurrected the character in the early 90's and since Marvel owns Malibu - apparently dragged the character into Marvel Continuity.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Aman

Anyway, I know the point still stands that most of the Immortal Weapons shouldn't be white guys... but thought it was interesting that they were actually shoehorning in a character created 70 years ago into modern Marvel Continuity.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
egospark

Postby egospark » Mon May 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks for the tip on John Aman, but it's not enough... not enough...

Yeah the eighth city... So did you peg Las Vegas for the eighth city right away? It's the Republican concept of Heaven, and the differences between Xao and Cheney are fairly slim.

Sigh... I would have had no problem with Fat Corba et al bumming around New York City or whatever with Danny in a wild "fish out of the water, but fish is deadly kung fu expert" send up but now I can't trust the storyline. Apparently the super duper important fight of the immortal weapons isn't really that important, everyone gets to go to Disneyland, stay up late and eat as much ice cream as they want. So why bother reading about that?
the smackdown is eternal.

Return to “Marvel Discussion”