Iron Fist Love Fest

Discuss the Mights of Marvel.
PantherCult

Iron Fist Love Fest

Postby PantherCult » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:13 pm

No, this is not an extreme hardcore fetish site...

Just a thread for me to express how much I am enjoying the current Iron Fist title written by Ed Brubaker.

Brubaker previously did the near impossible and turned Captain America into a must read title for me, so I was excited to hear he would be taking on one of my favorite, under appreciated characters. Now, I freely admit that I have a pro-Iron Fist bias. I own the first appearance of Iron Fist in Marvel Premiere 15... I have the entire 15 issue run of Iron Fist by Claremont and Byrne at the top of their game. I have most issues of the combo title Power Man and Iron Fist featuring stints by fave writers Chris Priest and Kurt Busiek. I have the issues of Namor by Byrne that resurrect Iron Fist and bring him back to the Marvel U. So, yeah I'm a fan.

But honestly, this current title is shaping up to be some of the best Iron Fist comics ever. With the first 6 issue arc now complete I love what Brubaker has done - enriching the Iron Fist mythos, fleshing out the history of K'un L'un, providing motivation for Wendell Rand to risk his family - all while telling a good action story about Danny fighting off corporate takeover and Hydra and his long time rival Davos..

I love the moody art, and think it is perfect for this book. And I'm extremely happy that the Bendis written card board cutout currently appearing in New Avengers isn't my only dose of Iron Fist each month. I hope Brubaker elects to continue writing Iron Fist and that the book sells enough copies to stick around longer than the last solo IF book.

Anyone else reading this title?
greenandgold
Site Admin

Postby greenandgold » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:38 am

I'm right there with you PC. I was a fan of Iron Fist from back in the Power Man & Iron Fist days.

My favorite part of the series is how they are flushing out the history of Iron Fist in addition to following a new story line. Great stuff!
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:19 am

Looks like I'm going to have to pick up the first trade (and if I like it) issue #7 onward.

EDIT: Capt. A and Daredevil are some of the only legible things shipping from Marvel month in and month out. I'm also now sucked into WWH in the hopes that (as someone said in the top ten thread) Hulk Smash Sentry and Sentry turn into Skrull.... You planted the seeds RL... ok and the art is nice.
CREATION MATRIX><XIRTAM NOITAERC
_________COAX INIR MATTER_________
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:28 am

I totally agree Iron fist is rocking. I'm digging it more then DD and I have been a DD fan for a long time. In my eyes the 4 main marvel books Brubaker is doing are all great reads.
Impulse-ive

Postby Impulse-ive » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:44 pm

I have to jump on the band wagon too. I was never a huge fan of IF but, i liked him as a member of heros for hire stuff liek that. I never thought he would be able to hold his own comic. This run has proved me wrong ans i'm loving it.

Kudos to Brubaker!
egospark

Re: Iron Fist Love Fest

Postby egospark » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Iron Fist certainly has its strong points... but Prince of Orphans is yet another European/American? Holy Cultural Shock, round eye! I suppose I'll end up getting the Iron Fist special that Reveals All but if it turns out that the this is yet another relative/suspeciously simular storyline to Daniel's/total sleepwalking through the keyboard "origin" story, I will be somewhat miffed to say the least.

And it's not that I'm Politically Correct by any means, but there's only so many wealthy sons of millionaries that can be sole survivors in the mountains of Tibet, isn't there? After all, the vast majority of the human race ARE NOT Americans, and I wouldn't mind reading a comic book with mainly Asian characters.

Like Crossing Midnight. Top notch stuff.
the smackdown is eternal.
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:43 pm

Dang... knew I shouldn't have read this post before I picked up my comics for the week...
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Hmmm.... well, I really enjoyed issue 12. The way that Prince of Orphans took Davos out without breaking a sweat was impressive. And even more impressive is the fact that the tournament becomes nothing but background for the real story here. The entire paradigm for K'un L'un the "Eternal City" is about to be stood on its head. I thought the art dropped off somewhat in this issue - especially in the first few pages - but still feeling like this is my favorite Marvel title right now.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
egospark

Postby egospark » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:07 am

Oh yeah, the art was certainly less than what one would expect.

I liked Prince of Orphans, but as mentioned was taken back by him being yet another American. Or maybe he's British. Sheesh. If every other Immortal Weapon is a Yank or a Brit or an Aussie... I'm sorry, it cheapens the whole mythos for me. One suspects that millionaire Americans are crashing their planes into the mountains of Asia all the time in hopes their orphaned sons are adopted by secret Kung Fu cults. It really strains the storyline.

Mr Xao continues to impress though.
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:04 am

What if its a Kung-Fu conspiracy to control wealthy westerners? I think I just blew my own mind with that. :shock:

{Starts spit-ballin' ideas and possible directions}
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:43 pm

This book just keeps getting better and better. I think I have read of the greatest final pages ever.

Spoiler!!!

Collen wing : U know Danny wanted this, right Xao?
Danny wanted u to get in. Look

Xao: What? Y on earth would want ... me to get in?

Danny : So we can get out y dumb s.o.b. ( Danny has 5 of the cities of heaven secret weapons with him)
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Well this just blows.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152812

I guess I will be dropping this book come issue 20.
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm

this is awful news. I have to say I'm exceedingly disappointed. I was under the impression after talking to Matt at Wizard World LA that Ed Brubaker would be leaving the title, but that Fraction would stay on it. Obviously the quality of Fraction's writing likely means Marvel is putting him on "bigger and better" things - but they had this book humming so well.

And the new writer hasn't lit me on fire with his Cable. If its true that Ed & Matt hand picked their successor then maybe it's okay - but I'm not encouraged.

The only way this would be good news for me is if Brubaker and Fraction are each being given one of the Avengers books to write and Bendis is getting shipped off to do something else. And that doesn't seem likely.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Of course, reading through the thread on Newsrama reveals this:

04-07-2008, 12:59 PM #63
Ed Brubaker

Guys -- I really do hope that you'll give Duane a chance on the book. Matt and I really did hand-pick him, and I think he's going to kick serious ass on it. I'll be buying it, I know that.

Also, Iron Fist has been selling nearly 40K an issue for a while now. I hope some of those readers are fans of the characters, too, and want to see what happens next.

So, at least that wasn't just hype - Bru does think the book will stay good. I like the character too much to drop the title anyway... but still, not the happiest news.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:20 pm

Well at the trade-odd issue 16 mark this should ensure I get a taste of the new writer should I decide to read this book in the future. Gotta give it up though for the new artist's name: Travel Foreman. If I ever make it big I'm changing mine to Often Laidoff.
egospark

Postby egospark » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:48 pm

While a certain writer or artist might get me to try a book, I have never been deeply loyal to any particular creative team. It is the character that counts, not the guy in the back. And sure, if the guy in the back it a total moron or hates comics or has some wild hair up his butt and doesn't know what he's doing, that will certainly kill it for me.

But to automatically assume the worse makes no sense. Unless Chuck Dixon is taking over.
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:54 pm

or Bruce Jones. :shock:
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:31 pm

egospark wrote:While a certain writer or artist might get me to try a book, I have never been deeply loyal to any particular creative team. It is the character that counts, not the guy in the back. And sure, if the guy in the back it a total moron or hates comics or has some wild hair up his butt and doesn't know what he's doing, that will certainly kill it for me.

But to automatically assume the worse makes no sense. Unless Chuck Dixon is taking over.

It's funny as I both agree and disagree. I am fiercely character loyal to the characters I love - hence my continuing to buy the X-Men during the brutal Chuck Austen years or my ongoing support of the Black Panther title despite Reggie Hudlin's ineptitude. But a great creative team makes good characters superb and that's what was happening with Brubaker/Fraction on Iron Fist. Their vision for the character was so good and was working so well that it's hard to pass the torch to someone else - especially when the only thing the new guy has written that I've seen is two not-good issues of the new Cable title in which virtually nothing has happened yet.

I have most appearances of Iron Fist in my collection and likely won't drop the book due to the change, but I would consider it if I wasn't such a fan of the character.

For example - I only enjoy Captain America when he is really well written. If Brubaker were leaving cap and this same guy were taking over I almost assuredly would drop it. Ditto for Daredevil if some sub-standard author takes the reigns - or likely Green Lantern if Johns decides to move on to someone else. For characters I have a marginal like for but read because they have a great writer attached the change of author does impact my decision to buy and read the book.

Iron Man is another example. Picked it up when Ellis started writing the relaunch but have since dropped it. But, with Matt Fraction taking over the new Iron Man title you can bet I'll be there. Not because I love Iron Man as a character but because I love Fraction's writing and am interested to see what he wants to do with this guy.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:28 am

I'm in the same boat as PC when it comes to X- books. Now other People like Iron Fist I'm not that loyal too. Though I may have to give this guy a chance because now I find out he is taking over the Max Punisher title. There went my hopes and Andy Diggle writting it.

I will be honest I do buy some books just for the writter. Case in point is Booster Gold. Personally I think Booster shouldn't have his own book but, Johns writes it so well that I can't get rid of it. In the same vein though I buy all the x- books no matter who writes it. I have also been buying the avengers books even with Bendis's shooty writing on them.

Oh and I like Chuck Dixon he is no where near as bad as Judd winick or Chuck " where am I now" Austin.
egospark

Postby egospark » Sun May 04, 2008 6:01 pm

And scrap what I said earlier. I was so disappointed with how the Cities of Heaven arc ended, I'll return Iron Fist to the "forgotten hero" file. What a freakin' waste of time.

Return to “Marvel Discussion”