The "new" Captain America

Discuss the Mights of Marvel.
PantherCult

The "new" Captain America

Postby PantherCult » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 pm

So, it's official. James Buchanan Barnes has officially donned the Captain America costume. A new outfit and a new attitude and it felt fairly natural. What amazed me as I was reading this issue though is at how understated it was. The revelation of a New Captain America could have done as an event with lots of bells and whistles added for the anticipated new readers... and instead it was just a well written extension of the ongoing Captain America storyline.

In fact, I was marveling at the fact that this is the 34th issue of Brubaker's Captain America run and it's more or less one seamless story from the beginning... There's really only been the one villain the entire time, but we've experienced an entire arc with "Bucky" - from "he's not dead?" to "he's a soviet programmed killing machine" to "he's a man out of time trying to recover his soul" to "he's Captain America". With Lukin/Skull as the driving evil force for the entire run... Captain America is doing something that few comic books are able to do any more... which is truly take advantage of the sequential story telling medium.

Most comics now get a "restart" every 12 issues or so with a new creative team and a new direction... or they are pressured to become Event Driven with bite size stories tailored to fit easily into trade paperbacks... But reflecting on this run of Captain America its pretty amazing how consistent the book has been at unveiling this one, ongoing story - despite the somewhat major interruption of the Civil War event resulting in the death of the main character the story just kept chugging along.

Brubaker has continued to do a fine job with this title and it is consistently one of my favorite reads every month - and has been for 3 years now.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
K26dp

Re: The "new" Captain America

Postby K26dp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:42 pm

PantherCult wrote:So, it's official. James Buchanan Barnes has officially donned the Captain America costume. A new outfit and a new attitude and it felt fairly natural. What amazed me as I was reading this issue though is at how understated it was. The revelation of a New Captain America could have done as an event with lots of bells and whistles added for the anticipated new readers... and instead it was just a well written extension of the ongoing Captain America storyline.

I was think exactly the same thing after I read it. It's a big deal, but within the pages of the story itself, it was just simply "the next thing that happens". Amazing really... Stan Lee would be rolling in his grave, if he were dead.

As soon as Whedon's AXM story arc is finally done, Cap will be the last Marvel Universe book on my pull list, but I can't imagine dropping it right now.
Jason Potapoff
Site Admin

Postby Jason Potapoff » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Man you make me want to go out and pick up trades for the past 3 years. And no other Marvel comic makes me even remotely consider that.
greenandgold
Site Admin

Postby greenandgold » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 pm

K26dp wrote:
PantherCult wrote:So, it's official. James Buchanan Barnes has officially donned the Captain America costume. A new outfit and a new attitude and it felt fairly natural. What amazed me as I was reading this issue though is at how understated it was. The revelation of a New Captain America could have done as an event with lots of bells and whistles added for the anticipated new readers... and instead it was just a well written extension of the ongoing Captain America storyline.

I was think exactly the same thing after I read it. It's a big deal, but within the pages of the story itself, it was just simply "the next thing that happens". Amazing really... Stan Lee would be rolling in his grave, if he were dead.

As soon as Whedon's AXM story arc is finally done, Cap will be the last Marvel Universe book on my pull list, but I can't imagine dropping it right now.

For my money, it is a non event if it's not Steve Rogers as Cap. Someone else as Cap rates a definite meh with me.
Justice League: Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, The Question,Steel,Red TornadoRed ArrowGreen Arrow

ImageImage
K26dp

Postby K26dp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:36 am

greenandgold wrote:For my money, it is a non event if it's not Steve Rogers as Cap. Someone else as Cap rates a definite meh with me.

Are you reading it?
greenandgold
Site Admin

Postby greenandgold » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:06 am

K26dp wrote:
greenandgold wrote:For my money, it is a non event if it's not Steve Rogers as Cap. Someone else as Cap rates a definite meh with me.

Are you reading it?

Nah. I think someone must have pissed in my beer last night. Such bitterness!

I gave up on most everything Marvel after Civil War except Iron Fist. I did read the trade of WW Hulk recently though.
Justice League: Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, The Question,Steel,Red TornadoRed ArrowGreen Arrow

ImageImage
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 pm

I'm a purest in the sense that if it isn't Steve it isn't Cap. though I did read this issue and it was written well. Over time I will be able to see bucky as Cap because I have faith in brubakers skills. Overall this issue was written well and still one of my top pulls for any month.
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:53 am

K26dp wrote:As soon as Whedon's AXM story arc is finally done, Cap will be the last Marvel Universe book on my pull list, but I can't imagine dropping it right now.

Ditto... except I have one more issue of Daredevil to pull as well.
badger

Postby badger » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:16 pm

I don't know if there's a much bigger Cap fan at this site then me (I'm alternating between him and Panther as my favorite Marvel Character) -- but I can accept the Bucky transition ( though I doubt I could accept anyone else as Cap) and Agree that it just flows as part of the story I like that a lot !
Once a Survivor Always a Survivor
egospark

Postby egospark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 pm

greenandgold wrote:I gave up on most everything Marvel after Civil War...

I more or less gave up on Marvel in 1979.

Iron Fist is pretty good, though I do get some of the names confused.

Giving the relaunched Man-Thing a try, and it's certainly in the old horror vein with sex and violence and gore. One of those MAX books, which does seem to push the edges of the story for the sake of over the top violence and some swear words, but sheesh.. Man-Thing? He hasn't been in anything decent in over 30 years.

I tend to like Marvel from the edges, getting secondary character books here and there.

Still, I might try the Cap and DD books one of these days, if the trades are cheap enough. It's still a little hard for this old time Marvel fan to put my head around Bucky Barnes being alive.... but if Steve Rogers is really dead, I suppose there's some symmetry there.

I see nothing wrong with "new' characters taking over for an old/retired/dead hero (or villian!) In fact, it makes sense that there would be someone ready to take up the Captain America banner before Steve's body was completely cold. But I do get tried of the endless Back-From-The-Dead storyline that doesn't even bother with the history of the characters. So while I haven't been reading Cap for a long time, good luck to whoever is wearing the suit!
the smackdown is eternal.
egospark

Postby egospark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:51 pm

"baby business"? :roll: Sometimes S-E-X has nothing to do with reproduction... Thank God!!
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:06 am

egospark wrote:"baby business"? :roll: Sometimes S-E-X has nothing to do with reproduction... Thank God!!

Wow and hear I thought they were doing some kind of magic ritual with babies. Glad you cleared that up for us.
egospark

Postby egospark » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:06 am

Oh, I'm sure this is all meant to be cute, but I find any type of censorship annoying. In this case, annoying and silly. Like not being able to write D!ck Tracy without some foolishness going on in order to "protect" people who most likely can't read anyway.
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Still loving Bru's Captain America... and think he nailed the Falcon this issue as well.

[spoiler]very intrigued to see who this is that Sharon Carter has discovered... from her own lips "you're not Steve"... very interesting indeed...[/spoiler]
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Spoiler

Yes, is it in the meta-physical "red herring" sense or is the part shrouded in shadow part Skrull looking? It obviosly alludes to being burned, or something, as the skin in the shadows is pitted somehow around the shoulder. The big thing is how badly this throws the readers 5 years from now in the TpB if it is a skrull. Hopefully its more of a clone in the sense they cloned Thor. Sharon simply recognizes this from whatever would be revealed from the side we see in shadows.
Rogues Law

Postby Rogues Law » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:06 pm

I know this sounds crazy but, coule it be someone fron the time of the origanl invaders? Wasn't there someone that was half human and half on fire? I also thought the side that was on fire was on the left just like on this "steve".

Return to “Marvel Discussion”