Marvel General Discussion

Discuss the Mights of Marvel.
Batman1983

Re: Marvel General Discussion

Postby Batman1983 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:09 am

I can into posesion of a lot of Alpha Flight comics should you want to list the issues you're missing.

I enjoyed Brubaker's Capt. America epic and his take over of DD has been great. GotG is a wonderful book. Traditionally I think myself (and K2 if I may speak for him) are DC-ites. Also apart from General Comics forum I'm not sure when the last DC post was made either.
CREATION MATRIX><XIRTAM NOITAERC
_________COAX INIR MATTER_________
Batman1983

New Female Black Panther (still by Hudlin)

Postby Batman1983 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 pm

Thoughts? Also was it Method Man thats taking over the book later in 2009? Will it be this female version? How does all this make you feel, PC?

Also: "I can posesion"... what the 'L? How distracted was I Friday?
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Yeah, I've already been wringing my hands over this ridiculous decision for some time - since the cover art was leaked two weeks ago.

First and foremost the ongoing Hudlin involvement turns my stomach. Hudlin's stories have been rife with cliche and have run roughshod over the continuity that Chris Priest did so much to smooth out on his last run on the title. Honestly it never felt like Hudlin really had a clue how to handle the character. Then, in what amounts to a cruel, cruel tease - Jason Aaron takes over the book to write the Secret Invasion tie in and it's excellent. Hope springs that this quality writer will stay on the title and re-establish the character as the badass he should be.

Instead, they hand the reins back to Hudlin and to stimulate sales they decide to kill Tchalla (at least that's what they're hinting at) and turn the mantle over to his little sister.

Never mind the fact that until Hudlin took over the book Tchalla never had a sister. for years of continuity, through McGregor's Jungle Action, Kirby's wacky stories and Priests phenomenal run T'challa is an only child destined to take on the mantle of responsibility when his father is killed in his prime by Ulysses Klaw. Black Panther's step mother was a prominent figure throughout all of the previous Panther storylines.

Hudlin got ahold of the book and completely revised the established origin including T'challa usurping the role of Black Panther when it was his older cousin that was supposed to assume the title and at the same time they introduced the younger sister.

Now, in an effort to grab attention and headlines this younger sister will be made the new Black Panther. I think I want to vomit. Honestly, the only reason I can see for Marvel continuing to let Hudlin trample on this fine character is because Hudlin is the chief executive of BET - the network that is producing the animated Black Panther series that's supposed to debut next spring. Increased exposure from the cartoon can only be good for the comics - so keep the executive in charge of the cartoon invested in the success by continuing to let him write the comic.

Bleah. How I wish Brubaker would bring his magic wand to the Wakandan corner of the Marvel U and return Black Panther to the prominence he deserves.

Sigh :cry:
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:15 pm

So its neither of T'Challa's bodyguards; which would be the logical progression of characters should he die son-less and the new one is a girl (instead of the cop Priest's run set-up)? I am so glad I bought issue #1 and dropped.

Yeah this smacks of "Well we don't care if BP sells or whatever its only a piece to be moved in a business deal that will make us money." Meh.

Furthermore they just did this with Capt. America. No Bucky is not a broad, but you know what I'm saying. Next thing you know Hudlin will have Storm marrying the new BP (JK... I hope).
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 pm

Actually, there is quite a bit of speculation that Marvel is using the "World's Apart" mini-series to break up Storm and Panther. In issue 1 a Shadow King possessed Panther publically disses Storm, declares her a criminal and otherwise distances himself from her... so - the thinking is that they'll have Storm leave Wakanda and rejoin the X-Men "where she belongs".

That also eliminates the pesky problem of Storm being the ruler of Wakanda if her husband dies so they can create the clear path for the new girl.

Truly, truly hate this direction and the only saving grace is the knowledge that there is bound to be a reset button once Marvel and Hudlin part ways that will get the real Black Panther back where he belongs.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Shazam!

Postby Shazam! » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Anything worth spending money on going on in the Marvel universe? I last paid it any attention back in the Civil War/Secret Invasion era. Anybody here still reading?
THE :defenders:EFENDERS of H.A.T.E. - defending the Playground by beating people up.
Dirk Anger, Lindsey Lohan, Namor, Zombie Elvis, Incredible Hulk, Dr. Strange, Valkyrie
icewolf200

Postby icewolf200 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Fear Itself wasn't bad.

Dark Reign and Siege were good.

X-Men are splitting up.
Darn the luck, darn.

Code Monkey of the Matrix

PFHL Season 10
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 am

Ok, I just picked up my first run in a long time of Amazing Spider-Man...Issues 697-700 and then the Superior Spider-Man...And here is my thoughts about it. If you have not read it...Do not click below...
it is one thing to say...Kill off Spider-Man...AKA Peter Parker and have Doc Ock take over his body and retain part of Peter's persona because he has the memories of Peter's so he should feel the same things Peter always felt. That is understandable.
But to make Peter a ghost in Ock's mind and act like Peter is still alive? How the hell does that work? And they are saying that this is a temporary thing...Excuse me, but Ock's body is DEAD. How the hell do you bring back Peter and what...leave a residue of Doc in Peter's mind? The only way I can see this working is if Madame Web interferes with the whole thing and changes time back to just before Peter's mind is taken over by Doc Ock and then Doc Ock is permanently killed off. Make for an interesting story? Maybe not, I mean they did bring back Superman after he was supposed to be dead and gave the excuse that his body was in a regenerative phase and was healed due to the sun. But this is a human being that was bitten by a radio active spider. Personally, I cannot see this going well. I am interested in seeing how they fix this debacle, but then again I am torn. Do I support a comic that really makes no sense. If you are going to kill off Peter Parker...Do it. Don't act like it will be ok, that it is a phase. It's not.
Did anyone see how Stan "The Man" Lee responded to his thought of issue 700? He shredded it! Look it up if you think I am kidding. Shredder...issue 700, no more on his desk. It is one of his most favorite characters and to me it feels like the writers took a dump on the whole Spider-Man comic. I have always thought of myself like Peter. The good natured kid that had a funny joke about everything and always smiled even when the chips were down. But I sat stunned at reading how they did the book. I kept thinking in my head, they would not let Peter die. Stan would not be happy if they did! How could they? In fact, Stan did not want Peter to end this way....I had spoken to a friend who had heard what had happened and he had asked me if I had read it yet and I told him I was about to pick it up now. He asked if I knew what had happened to change him. I said someone had to have died...MJ? Aunt May? I mean these two ladies were Peter's favorite and would have been natural that they changed the life of Pete by dying. I can see Peter losing part of himself and losing the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" attitude. It would have made sense to me to go that route. Cause of death for them? Doc Ock? Hell yes. Sinister Six? Yeah, the old gang there could have gone after them and attacked when they were all together and exposed Peter to his Aunt that he was Spider-Man and she then tells Peter that she has always known and dies in his arms. Or MJ tells Peter that she loved him as he hold her...These make it more plausible. But in my opinion, and as you can see I have a huge opinion about this issue, this was not well thought out. With the revamp of the comic book world, I say this is one that need to be addressed soon. Madame Web, please step in soon and change the world that is Peter Parker's life back the normal.
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm at work... so I'll refrain from rant, but yes this is a bad move and I applaud Stan Lee for standing against it.
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Rant away! I would love to hear other opinions about this one. (When you get off work of course :D LOL)

Return to “Marvel Discussion”