Discuss the Mights of Marvel.
Hero_of_angels
Site Admin

Marvel General Discussion

Postby Hero_of_angels » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:19 pm

And so, it begins.
Scammer

Postby Scammer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:19 pm

I'm confused. Just what is it that you're trying to say, HoA? 8)
greenandgold
Site Admin

Postby greenandgold » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:38 pm

And here I thought Marvel Comics have been around for a long time. :roll:
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:45 pm

so, anybody have any thoughts on Marvel's "reset button"? DC was able to reorganize the universe anyway they wanted using the SuperboyPrime-punched-the-walls-of-Reality excuse.

Now it looks like Marvel is jumping on the bandwagon. Any continuity problems for the books in the last 20 yers, any actions the fans didn't like, any particularly bad writing (Chuck Austen, I'm looking at you) can now all be explained away by stating just one word "SKRULLS!"

While there can certainly be some interesting stories arising from this - it does feel like the potential for one massive cop out.
DiceShooter

Postby DiceShooter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:49 pm

PantherCult wrote:so, anybody have any thoughts on Marvel's "reset button"? DC was able to reorganize the universe anyway they wanted using the SuperboyPrime-punched-the-walls-of-Reality excuse.

Now it looks like Marvel is jumping on the bandwagon. Any continuity problems for the books in the last 20 yers, any actions the fans didn't like, any particularly bad writing (Chuck Austen, I'm looking at you) can now all be explained away by stating just one word "SKRULLS!"

While there can certainly be some interesting stories arising from this - it does feel like the potential for one massive cop out.

Admittedly, I don't really read Marvel, but seems to me that they completely threw the universe into chaos for shock value (especially the whole, killing Captain America thing...that made national news) using their major characters, and instead of even trying to come up with coherent character motivations, they're bringing back the Skrulls (who I heard were wiped out in Annihilation, though I could be mistaken) to just be like, "oh yeah, that huge deal we made...it didn't actual matter, cuz it was a skrull..."

I can't say DC was much better with their "Superboy-Prime pounding on the walls altering reality" but for some reason that sits better with me (with the huge exception of bringing Jason Todd back from the dead...and trying to make him a cool anti-hero). I don't know, I keep wanting to find reasons that it's better than the "it's a skrull" slate cleaner, but that seems to be a difficult task indeed.
greenandgold
Site Admin

Postby greenandgold » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 pm

I'm actually on a Bendis boycott since Civil Wars, so I've only read Iron Fist and Astonishing X-Men from the regular continuity.

Reading more DC and Ultimate Universe instead.
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:51 pm

greenandgold wrote:I'm actually on a Bendis boycott since Civil Wars, so I've only read Iron Fist and Astonishing X-Men from the regular continuity.

I wish I had the willpower... I've been reading Avengers straight through since issue 180... (and Uncanny X-Men since around issue 114) so I have trouble just dropping those books. 30 years worth of reading maintains that sentimental tug at me. But, man I'm tired of Bendis' style on Avengers. Luckily Brubaker is going strong on a number of Marvel titles right now (Uncanny, Daredevil, Captain America and Iron Fist) to offset so much of the Bendis-verse. I am hoping that with this big Skrull reveal things will actually start happening on the Bendis books.

At any rate it should be fun to watch Hulk rip a big wide hole in the Marvel Universe this summer.
deadshot

Postby deadshot » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:08 pm

I have to agree with you, PantherCult, if only because I feel that Marvel needs to have some sort of a plan. The stuff they have done is very shock value in tone. Spidey Unmasked! Cap dead! Iron Man a major tool! Hulk smashing everything in sight! (Maybe he'll smack that cosmic wall ;) )

At any rate, I really do hope that Marvel has some sort of a plan to get out of this as I think that government run super heroes is a completely played out and tired model for a universe.

The disappearance of Nick Fury and the threads that have been tied all the way back to Secret War must have some sort of an endgame. Hopefully, a Skrull infiltration is just part of it.

On a related note, did Marvel ever really deal with the evil Tony Stark thing that they did before Heroes Reborn? Could he be part of this? My knowledge of Marvel around that time is a little fuzzy. :)

If Marvel is using this as a way to hit the reset button consider this my vote to have Norman Osborn retroactively put his pecker back in his pants and away from Gwen Stacey!
Bobby Flashpants

Postby Bobby Flashpants » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:53 am

So was the old Creation Matrix a disguised Skrull, and this is the "real" Matrix reclaiming it's rightful place?
K26dp

Postby K26dp » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:37 am

That's the kind of a question a Skrull would ask...

::readies some pitchforks and torches::
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:52 am

I've known all along J'onn. Seeing as you're the last of your species having a brother is..... IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Don't you see Bobby? Hes been kind, but condescending. Bobby...

You're adopted.
CREATION MATRIX><XIRTAM NOITAERC
_________COAX INIR MATTER_________
jscotty

Postby jscotty » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:55 pm

Okay, so I just read the last Illuminati issue today and Holy Smokes!!! Who would have thought...

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if Black Bolt was a Skrull, then who did Hulk beat the crap out of??? Also, who else do you think is going to be a Skrull in hiding???
clixhunter

Postby clixhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:17 pm

thats the big question....according to everything ive been reading...this is something theyve been planning for 5 years....and if it really has been in the works that long....the unveiling is going to be monstrous. according to the variuos sources, they plan to do a 'this is how it all happened' approach very soon...
Got any Dragons you need slain?
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:17 am

Joe Quesada is a Skrull :shock:

Well even if thats not true I'd like to thank him for letting me cut back to Capt. A and Daredevil (though Messiah Complex looks fun).
jscotty

Postby jscotty » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:20 am

Messiah CompleX has been a good read! I have not been reading many comics recently, but this one really caught my eye due to the return of the Marauders and Gambit prior to the story arc! I would recommend it, although the TPB would suffice...
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:35 am

Yeah I'll be reading in BAM then TpB once its collected. I've read parts 3-6 and have found it a nice breath of air.
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:34 pm

Well, I keep enjoying Messiah Complex very much.

Even if I detest Ramos' art and its a little jarring to get an issue in that style in the middle of a crossover (can only imagine how it will look in the TPB) the story continues to be compelling. The crossover that's hitting all those notes to make me feel like a teenager again reliving those early X-book crossovers.

The most recent fight was fun, having Wolverine brush Lady Deathstrike aside as not worth his time and letting X-23 take her apart. It worked for me. Looking forward to some payoff as we find out what Cable's plans really are.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
PantherCult

Re: Marvel General Discussion

Postby PantherCult » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:43 am

So, I find it somewhat depressing to find that no one on this site enjoys Marvel comics enough to discuss them as the most recent comic related post dates back to MAY. That's six whole months where no one felt there was any Marvel comic book worth discussing. SIGH.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
clixhunter

Postby clixhunter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:38 am

*chuckle* Id love to discuss Marvel Comics.....Just thought the Messiah Complex, where it was good...was really just a reboot of the X-Men continuity....to put things back in place.

Now Invasion? wow. or Guardians of the Galaxy? very very good.

I picked up the Capt Britain and MI6 for their tie ins, but the story and group felt forced, so I dropped it.

Waiting to see how everything shakes out with the groups after the Skrulls leave.

Will the FF find Sue? or is she dead at the hands of the Skrulls.

Will The New Avengers even be around after the invasion?

and just where is Dr. Strange?

all these and more...;)
Got any Dragons you need slain?
greenandgold
Site Admin

Postby greenandgold » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:40 am

I gave up on the stuff due to Bendis. Picked up a bunch of old I am enjoying (Morbius, Alpha Flight, Ghost Rider).
Justice League: Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, The Question,Steel,Red TornadoRed ArrowGreen Arrow

ImageImage

Return to “Marvel Discussion”