What do you think? Awesome find or bust?

Discuss the Mights of Marvel.
Gundragon

What do you think? Awesome find or bust?

Postby Gundragon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 am

Ok, so I have been out of the comic world for a while now. Just started getting back into it and doing mostly the new stuff. I was thinking one night I would love to have all the old issues I used to read when I was a kid and or just in the military with. So I started looking at issues that I had purchased. I have now gotten all the issues to Siege of Darkness, and the Rise of the Midnight Sons collectors books (has the posters) and then I started looking at Secret Wars and saw one of the books I used to own was worth a good penny (Issue number 8 First appearance of the Symbiote). Thinking I would never be able to really find it at a price I could really afford since I am going through a separation I went to the local brick and mortar place and started looking at the back issues. I got a wild hair and decided to look at the Secret Wars issues. Low and behold I found an issue 8. It was priced at 14.50. Now, remembering all the comic book places that I have been pricing this book at I thought, there has to be a REAL problem with this book. No way it could be 14.50 there has to be a lot of torn pages, writing in the book, coloring, something! I said what the hell and bought it. At least I could get the book to some what complete the set once the other issues come in. I took it home and started getting anxious to look at this book. I took it out of the bag that it was in and started slowly looking in the book. You will not believe this, but I originally thought it should be graded maybe a 7.0 just because of the price, but after carefully looking in the book, looking for any sign that may be damaged on the book or anything...I tell you folks, I think I found a 8+ book! I am going to send it away to have it CGC graded to have my suspicions confirmed but what a treasure I found!!
Now, I have a chance to have it CGC graded and also have Stan Lee sign it in October. Do you think that book is worth the 110 bucks to have him sign it?

-Gary
Batman1983

Re: What do you think? Awesome find or bust?

Postby Batman1983 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 pm

If its worth it to you and you have the cash, why not? Money is money. Memories are made. Make yours Marvel-ous.
CREATION MATRIX><XIRTAM NOITAERC
_________COAX INIR MATTER_________
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks Batman1983. I appreciate the response. I am more worried that it that might not be the right book for him to sign. I mean, should I look for a different book? Like the one that has him swinging I think on Amazing Spider-Man...Issue...252. If I could get my hands on that one, would it be the one you would do or would you stay with Secret Wars issue?
icewolf200

Postby icewolf200 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Bring an issue of Spider-man 700, see if he has his shredder with him.
Darn the luck, darn.

Code Monkey of the Matrix

PFHL Season 10
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Hmmm, the last time I saw him with an issue 700 in his hands the person that asked him to sign it never got it back and all that they got was a smile from him and a wave LOL (And no that is not real. I am making it up LOL)
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:30 pm

DC took my Wally (who I grew up with), changed my... Richard, and the recent Earth 2 reboot? Humph! Marvel killed Spider-Man with the whole Gwen Stacy's kids arc. I refuse to talk about anything after that. When Batman Inc. and Green Lantern just wrapped this summer the DCU was finished for me too. Oh I'll read Batman and I read my friends X-Men comics because they're free, but characters I can connect to as a 30yo married man... ?

I will say Hawkeye is a breath of fresh air. Mostly finding the few Image books, that I find appropriete, the draw. Invincible is violent, but keeps it clean in other areas. Nowhere Men so far has been facinating and visually clean (swearing though), East of West is the closest to hard R, but I haven't seen nudity, so its still not really bad. I think I read something else from them. Trillium so far is clean from Vertigo. I've been reading a lot of Jeff Lemeire in fact. Good stuff.
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:24 pm

If you want to stay clean Bats, do not get Rogues or Alice in Wonderland, down the rabbit hole...Those two I bought because one was based on D&D Rogues, and the other I like Grimm Fairy Tales. I bought a 2 of the rogues, and one of the Alice and find those a little to far out there for me. At least the Alice one was, its mostly like a psycho comic book that has no real rhyme or reason. I am enjoying the Infinity series right now as well and I am going to go on a limb here and say that with the time portal tear, they are going to bring Peter Parker back that way as well. Maybe killing Doc Ock or putting him in a different time and space. This was caused by the Age of Ultron with the jumping of time that Wolverine and Sue did and then the rest of the Avengers. Battle of the Atom I am reading as well is actually an interesting story line, but the problem again is the time jumping of old X-Men meet current X-Men who meet the New X-Men. Pretty solid so far in my opinion, but all this time jumping may get old quick.
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Yeah the only moment (in Battle) that didn't feel like endless talk is where young Scott starts to die and all reality starts to fall apart. I was so hoping we were about to go all 'Lost' or something and then... sameness. But hey at least they're free right now.

I am greatly hopeful that Infinity is the kickoff to Marvel having good events with Hickman behind the wheel.
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:38 am

Wanted to just update this. I know the book has been sent to CGC to be graded, but because they are backed up (they said it may take two months now to get the book back) I am getting anxious to get my book back and see the mans signature on it!
perezh

Postby perezh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:15 pm

I met Stan Lee at NY Comic Con...I signed up for an exclusive opportunity to attend a small roundtable discussion with him. It was AMAZING.

I got him to sign some of my 60s comics that are in near mint. I'm collecting high grade Amazing Spider-Mans. I have number 67 in 9.6 signed by Stan and John Romita, Sr.
Hector's Heavy Hitters: Hulk, Colossus, Jean Grey, Iron Fist, Storm, War Machine, Carrion, Mole Man, Lizard, Scarlet Spider, Tanarus, Sharon Carter, Odin, Dagger
The Rugged Outlaws: Spider-Man 2099, Punisher, Urich Hobgoblin, Taskmaster, Adam Warlock
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 am

That is awesome Perezh!! Wow, that has to be a heck of a set as well. How far have you gotten back on the Spider-man books? It has always been a dream for me to visit Stan and just have a one on one with him. But I have not been so lucky as to meet the guy. Its like a bucket list item that is, well, running out for me. What was he like in person?
Gundragon

Postby Gundragon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:22 pm

Well folks, It is back finally and it is graded at a 7.5!! I was close on what I had originally thought it would be as well! I am excited!! I do not know if or how I can add the picture of it on here. If someone would, i would gladly share it so you all can see it

Return to “Marvel Discussion”