The Smackdown Signing Off

egospark

The Smackdown Signing Off

Postby egospark » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Lessons Learned: the Smackdown

I started off the Smackdown with the idea of playing every single fig in heroclix except for the colossal figs and the redundant Universe figs. I guessed it would take about 18 months to finish such a task and we would arrive at The Greatest Clix of All Time.
Since the crash of the old site, I have lost track of time. Has it been 18 months or 24? A long time anyway.

Since the start of the Smackdown, it absorbed DC Giants, the Legion of Super-Heroes, Invincible, BPRD, mini-sets as well as the Avenger and Justice League main sets. This included the much hailed marketing scheme of the Marvel Zombies and the better thought out, but not as well received Starro Slaves. The Smackdown finally closed its door upon Mutations and Monsters as I felt it was far enough along that a new set of pieces might overwhelm the other sets. Who knows? At any rate, I didn’t want the Smackdown to keep on running forever and ever. There was a goal in mind.

Adding the new sets caused a couple of problems mainly because I didn’t feel like ripping apart teams I had already made to spread the new sets evenly. And so the new sets were concentrated into teams, flagged as being part of the new set and quickly gobbled up. A couple of games later and the Avengers and Justice League sets were severely reduced while older sets remained still untouched.

And that was a problem. The Indy sets, off in their own little ghetto, were widely ignored. I did not take into account the reluctance of players to field an Indy team.
While using the new (or at least new to the Smackdown) keywords and by treating the entire of the Indy set as support piece generics, that problem would have been largely solved.

Of course, being high in numbers eventually works against any faction or named clix in a scenario like the Smackdown. I briefly fretted about the number of X-Men still running around. The X-men soon found themselves fighting all the time, sometimes against each other much to their detriment.

That some games were brutal blow outs was expected. I had built all the teams based upon my own whims, comic book stories and team abilities. Lumping team abilities and comic book stories together more or less neutered the Legion of Super-Heroes. Not being support pieces, they stuck together and made their wildcard TA useless. This did not bother me. I see it as a design flaw. But on the same token, I also built teams heavy with the Mystic or Crossgen TA and I tried my best to keep wildcards off Mystic/Crossgen teams. My biggest goof was having M’onel paired with a Bat TA. Ouch!

Teams that I wasn’t sure about, I tried to play. Most to the time, I was correct in being not sure about the team as they were crushed quickly. Because of the nature of the Team Bank system, many teams that should have gone out in early rounds, like ones made up of HT LEs, ended up going out much later than anticipated. It was ugly. I had tried to set up a First Wave, Second Wave, Third Wave system, but it became too cumbersome and was fairly easy to abandon after the old site went under.

The Smackdown was a labor of love. Hours were spent on it. I produced pages of stuff, all of it designed to be tossed out once the game results came in. The players have been great. I’m sorry I couldn’t have come up with a better finish for the Smackdown than those last few games, but that’s a problem with any league. The “championship” game is always only two players with the majority forced to sit outside and watch. I suppose I could have run some “fun games” but there’s another thread for that anyway.
Nonetheless, I am very pleased with overall enthusiasm for the Smackdown. It has been a real pleasure to run.

For the future, I need a break. A long break. I need to spend my time in some other area. Time enjoyed is never time wasted, and I want to enjoy my time elsewhere for now.

I’m proud of the Smackdown and of all you regular players. Good times, gents! I may come up with another Smackdown, new and improved, down the road in some possible future, but right now, that doesn’t seem likely. If YOU have a burning desire to run a Smackdown of your own, go for it. This is all wide open and free to use by anyone.

Thanks for everything. And now that the Smackdown is over, I bid you peace.

Egospark
the smackdown is eternal.
Gargantua

Re: The Smackdown Signing Off

Postby Gargantua » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:09 am

A big thankyou for engineering all this. I had a blast with this over the last year or two(!) and I can really appreciate what a herculean task it must have been to keep the logistical end of this going. Heck, just sorting every single figure into teams at the beginning must have been enough to make you wonder what the heck were you thinking.

I like that every single figure got to be played at least once, even the ones that players usually wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. I liked the randomness factor in choosing teams. Sure the name of the team might have given you some idea of what you were getting. (Hm, this one's got an X in the name...) But in a way it was like a sealed booster game. You never knew just who you were going to have to run until you opened that box. Maybe some players don't like that lack of control. Me, I loved it.

I won't say that there'll be a gap in my gaming life now that the Smackdown's done. There will always be more games to play, and there are plenty of great guys here on CM to play with. But I'll miss it. Ah well, all good things must come to an end, and the Smackdown's no exception. I'm just glad I got to be a part of it.
"Mary -- Please stop climbing on the Seven Deadly Enemies of Man. Thank You." - Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil
K26dp

Postby K26dp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:13 am

Well done, egospark. I wish I could have played some more games, as every Smackdown I did participate in was a lot of fun.

I can't imagine the time you must have put into this, and I'm pretty sure that I would have abandoned it after the old CM crashed. I appreciate your tenacity.

Thanks!
PantherCult

Postby PantherCult » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Egospark I have to take my hat off to you. That was truly an undertaking of epic proportions.

When you first introduced the idea of the smackdown it was just to have no-holds barred fun with our Playground Rosters with large team builds and no scenarios. And it was brutal and bloody and glorious. For 3 seasons the Smackdown came like violent dessert on the heels of the Playground season and I looked forward to it with relish - hey I went undefeated after Season 1 and again after Season 3 in the Smackdown...

But then, the confines of the Playground simply couldn't hold the idea of yours to knock out every heroclix piece in order to determine which single piece was the best of all... Such a monumental task, well, we all knew you had to be a little bit nuts. But, it was fun and strange and interesting. The teams were often slightly wacky and often had terrible synergy - but there was a sense of duty in running those squads to the slaughter - or even, occasionally and unpredictably to victory. The pieces had to be played, the bad clix had to show why they were much maligned. I wasn't able to be a big part of the the new, grander Smackdown, but I am in awe of your achievement in managing it all.

Congratulations sir. Enjoy your respite, you've earned it.
PFHL '09- Monkey!
ImageImageImage
Scammer

Postby Scammer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Thank you egospark for a most enjoyable time! When clix became tired and tedious for me, the Smackdown brought me back in and made it enjoyable again. And it gave yendi the opportunity to destroy me a couple thousand more times! :)

All hail egospark! King of the Smackdown!
Playground team: Magneto, Black Adam, Ghost Rider, Black Panther, Black Knight, Black Bolt, Moondragon, Joker, Abbey Chase, Mister Mind, Doc Samson, Fatality, Despero, Vulture, Iceman
Map: Four Corners
Batman1983

Postby Batman1983 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Hear! Hear! Way to go! Excellent show. I must appologize for my absence in all events, but I have the deepest respect for all involved and the man behind the curtain. Thank you thank you. Without such a thing as the smackdown the Playground alone may not have kept the site going after the crash. You're the man Egospark!
clixhunter

Postby clixhunter » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:29 pm

To me The Smackdown is Heroclix...much more than any league....

Kudos to you Ego!!!! :D
Got any Dragons you need slain?
MaD DawG

Postby MaD DawG » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:09 pm

I must say thank you, i had an amazingly fun time playing so many games with so many pieces that i would never play in person. I know that you put in a lot of effort to make the Smackdown possible and just want to let you know that your efforts didn't go unappreciated. I am sad to see it end but i know that your break from all this is greatly needed. i am almost positive that if and when you return for the next round of smackdown, there will be more than enough people to make sure every clix piece meets it's end.

thanks again for all the hard work Ego
burleigh2

Postby burleigh2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:38 pm

I know I'm a bit late on this, but I issue a giant "Ditto" to what the others have said. Ego, you undertook a truly monumental task that I'm not sure anyone else on here would have put as much into it as you did.
I had a lot of fun in the few games I was able to play (before life got busy again :( ), and I can only imagine how much time and effort was put into that... I'm just sorry to see that it wasn't finished as you wanted (I think the site crash directly or indirectly was a big part of that).

Again, we thank you for the herculean effort (the Secret Invasion one, not the IC one ;) ).
-New to the game... again. ;-)

-Heroclix is not a game of logic, it's a game of strategy .... after all, when's the last time that you saw a giant (using a stealth ability) that was hiding behind a swingset... and nobody could SEE him????

Return to “Smackdown '07-'08”